The Blues Train takes applications to work with us all year round!
Job listings for The Blues Train will be published on this page – check back regularly for any new positions.
Events & Administration Internships
Looking for a ‘foot in the door’ to a career in music events? Now is YOUR chance! Seize this opportunity to make your mark in this exciting industry today!
Bay City Events, located in the heart of Geelong, are expert curators of unique events in regional Victoria. Our flagship product, The Blues Train in Queenscliff, has been captivating audiences of all age groups since 1994, hosting over 150,000 passengers on a novelty musical journey and dining experience on board a heritage steam train.
We are offering a tailored internship to a passionate ‘go getter’, seeking to kick start their career by enhancing their skills and experience through exposure to various areas of Events Management and related duties.
The internship is open for an immediate start, with possible ongoing part time placement for the right person.
In this internship you will witness and learn first-hand how events are run; from the initial concept all the way through to the setting up and conducting of the event, to the close and debrief. You will learn an array of skills in ‘behind the scenes’ administration with exposure to key components of the events industry such as event marketing, ticketing, P.R. and liaison with local and premier musical artists in relation to festival contracts and production requirements.
As well as gaining invaluable practical experience in the industry itself, you will be working within a small team lead by (Director) Hugo Armstrong, and (General Manager) Chris Longmore. Together as well as individually, Hugo and Chris showcase a great wealth of experience and are well respected in both the music events and radio industries in Victoria.
An internship with this company will not only help you to develop your industry knowledge and practical skills, it can also open the door to an exciting career ahead!
Send your resume, cover letter and academic transcripts to email@example.com.
Adrienne Stewart, Bay City Events
Event, Bar & Promotional Staff
The Blues Train Pty Ltd – Queenscliff Victoria
$31 – 38 per hour – Casual
ATTENTION – highly motivated, charismatic, music and fun-loving individuals required. No experience is needed, just a willingness to learn and dedication to be the best!
The Blues Train has been one of the Geelong region’s most recognized experiences for 23 years, combining live music, dinner and a heritage steam train – it’s a mini music festival in a night.
We’re on the lookout for:
– Event and Bar Staff
– Promotional Staff
– On-site Digital & Social Media
To be successful you will have:
– Energetic and friendly attitude – a zest for life!
– Pride in your job
– Excellent communications skills
– Ability to work under pressure
– Ability to work in a team as well as independently
– A wish to make your mark
– Current Australian Driver’s License
In return, you will receive:
– Regular working hours – 35 – 45 shows with confirmed shifts up to 12 months in advance
– Generous hourly rate
– Opportunity to learn new skills
– Fun working atmosphere
– A meal (the same that our patrons receive)
RSA certificate, experience in bar and/or events and promotions is desirable, however not essential – we want good people who are willing to learn – we will train you!
If you would like to earn some extra money and have fun whilst doing it, apply now!
You will be involved in all aspects of event, event bar and promotional duties including set-up, greeting and serving customers, cash handling, merchandising, on-site social media, pack-down and other duties to the requirements of the event.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $31 – 38 per hour
Hours: Most Saturday nights (August to May) plus Friday nights once a month (weekly in December). Shifts run for approximately 7 hours.
Adrienne Stewart, Bay City Events
Bar Duty Manager
Fancy being part of a close-knit team that delivers great service in a unique event focussed environment?
We’re looking for an experienced Duty Manager to join the team at The Blues Train.
If you offer bar team management experience, a customer focussed approach, fair management with a friendly smile and enjoy making customers happy then you could be just what we’re looking for!
As Duty Manager, your duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Management of all bar staff on shift
- Stock control
- Overseeing the setup of the bar prior to event start
- Overseeing all transactions and balancing up at the end of the night
- Ensuring high quality service is provided to all customers throughout the course of the night
- Ensuring that team communication is clear and consistent throughout the shift
- Ensuring that all aspects of RSA are adhered to at all times and that the conditions of the liquor licence are met and in accordance with the events alcohol management plan, seeing to a safe environment for all patrons
- Handling customer complaints
You’ll work closely with Event Security and Event Managers to ensure that RSA responsibilities are adhered to at all times, managing the safety of staff and event patrons.
It’s important that our staff provide a warm and welcoming service to customers and you’ll play a part in training and developing the team to ensure consistent service standards.
You’ll be a hands-on Duty Manager who knows how to juggle; overseeing and involved in service – ensuring customers are greeted and well looked after, as well as being available for staff and customers to deal with in relation to any concerns or complaints.
You’ll know what it means to deliver exceptional service, achieve consistently high standards and ensure customers are at the heart of everything we do. You’ll have experience working within a busy event bar environment as well as in a team management role, leading by example to create and maintain a motivated and happy team.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Strong organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate at all levels
- A strong customer service focus with the motivation to consistently drive high service levels
- Experience of managing, developing and leading successful teams
- The ability to work in a high-pressured environment with a calm character
- Results driven and motivated
Current full drivers licence
Desirable, but not essential:
Current First Aid Qualification
Licensee’s First Step
What’s on offer:
Scheduled show dates, from August to May. Approx 40 shows per year. Predominantly Saturday nights. Approx 4:30pm to 12:30am.
Dependant on experience
Fun, unique work environment – every shift is different
Long established business – 24 years of operation
To apply, click the button below.
Applications close 31st January 2018.
For enquiries, call BAY CITY EVENTS – 1300 885 993, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
EVENT OPERATIONS MANAGER
About the business and the role
The Blues Train is Australia’s longest running Blues music venue and one of the Geelong region’s premier tourist attractions. It combines live music performances on board a heritage train with a meal – it’s a mini music festival in a night.
Established in 1994, The Blues Train operates 40+ shows per annum with over 9,000 people experiencing the event on an annual basis.
Its parent company Bay City Events also provides Event Management, Artistic Programming and Safety Consultancy services to event organisers, councils, community groups and private enterprise.
An opportunity exists for an experienced and enthusiastic Event Operations Manager to join our small and busy team on event days in Queenscliff, Victoria.
The Event Operations Manager position is responsible for coordinating all on-site activities on event day. This involves event set up, contractor communication and liaison, customer service and ticketing, risk identification and mitigation, liaison with the operators of the event infrastructure including adherence to scheduled timetabling, emergency management and problem solving, reporting, service standards and event pack downs.
This is an on-site only role, one to two days per week – Saturday nights and some Friday nights (35-45 nights per annum) – limited coordination with administrative teams will be required.
Job tasks and responsibilities
- Oversee on-site setup including placement and locating of infrastructure and testing of equipment.
- Supervise the arrival of all contractors and vendors on to site.
- Effective liaison and communication with key stakeholders and contractors to ensure efficient setup of equipment.
- Deliver health and safety briefings and inductions where appropriate.
- Deal with any licensing staff or emergency service personnel who attend site.
- Ensure all contractors and staff are working to current health and safety guidelines and to the event operations plan.
- Pre-event safety inspection to ensure site is safe prior to public access
- Work closely with key event staff including the Promoter and Bar Supervisor to ensure the safe and smooth delivery of the event.
- Event Security Briefing (with the Promoter) prior to gate open.
- Provide leadership to the event team
- Provide customer assistance with ticketing and event related issues
- Manage an overview of the logistics of the site and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the event including but not limited to:
– equipment failure
– contractor issues
– patron behavioral issues
– timetabling issues
- Liaise with key stakeholders in administering the Emergency Management Plan in the event of an emergency, with responsibility for overseeing the safety of Blues Train patrons and personnel.
- Oversee incident response in the event of an injury, near miss or altercation. This may involve liaising with security, notifying police, ambulance or other emergency services.
- Ensure the event operates to the event schedule
- Oversee on-site packup including pack down and storage of equipment and portable infrastructure in a timely manner.
Skills and experience
- Proven experience working as an event manager, operations manager, project manager or similar on-site event role
- Outgoing, enthusiastic, flexible and motivated
- Highly organized, ability to multi-task and a strong work ethic
- Have a high attention to detail
- Ability to adhere to systems and procedures
- A natural problem solver and lateral thinker.
- Have excellent communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to lead a team and show initiative
- Reliable, dedicated, a quick learner and hard working
- Resourceful and creative
- Knowledge of Victorian Liquor Regulations & holder of a current RSA (or willingness to obtain one)
- A full Victorian Driver’s License
- A current first aid qualification (minimum Provide First Aid)
- Experience in OHS, Risk Management or Emergency Management desirable but not required.
For more information on this position, contact Adrienne on 1300 885 993.